Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mom’s autosomal DNA results


My mom’s haplogroup is U2e1a, 100% European; the U2 group is some of Europe’s earliest inhabitants. My mom’s mitochondrial line is Rivers/ Simms/Johnson/Huston/ unknown. We thought the unknown ancestor was Native American, but it appears James Huston was married to someone who had European roots in her mitochondrial lineage. It could be that James Huston’s mother was the Native American, right now, I do not know.
I got mom’s autosomal DNA done at 23andme. Her genotype for eye color is AG, which says likely brown {56% brown, 37% green, 7% blue}, she does have brown eyes, however her genotype for hair color is CT, which is substantially higher odds of having red hair, marker rs1805007. Her hair is dark brown, but she has red haired children, grandchildren, and grandparents. I would recommend 23andme, as I have found it all very interesting, she has also matched up with her Long , Haynes, Phipps, Powers, Frisby, and Day cousins on her paternal side on their website. She has not matched up yet with anyone on her maternal side, but everyone hasn't answered back yet, her closest match was a possible 2nd to 4th cousin and they have not responded back to e-mail that was sent. Update: they answered back, it is a Haynes/Phipps cousin.
Update: 7/18/14, She now has matches with her maternal side; Freeman, Hobson, Huston, Sullivan, Short, Campbell and Settle.

1 comment:

  1. Hi: I have been searching online for references to U2e1a maternal DNA connected to Great Britain - and I found you!

    My father in U2e1a and we are not able to get too far back his great-great-grandmother was possibly a Davis or Davies born in England (relocated to Canada), and her mother in turn was possibly a Teel. It's all rather a puzzle, so we're using DNA to try and stumble on clues. On the plus side, U2e1a is rare in England - on the downside, I have no solid birth information to hang clues on.

    Please, let me know if you stumble on anything that sounds familiar. Greg

    ReplyDelete