Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fearless Females- Day 8

March 8 — Did one of your female ancestors leave a diary, journal, or collection of letters? Share an entry or excerpt.
I gave my mother a book called “ A Family Legacy for your children, Reflections from a Mother’s Heart, Your Life Story in your own words”  for Christmas one year. It asks questions for every day of the year, so she filled this out for me, and gave it to me on the following Christmas. Here is one of the questions:
What mischievous childhood experience do you remember? How did it affect you? :
There were a lot of childhood escapes, but I don’t know if you would call them mischievous, because to me that means forethought to harm. I pulled the refrigerator over by leaning on the door when I was told not to, but one thought out was when I was 12 and a half and we moved to Ladoga, and the teacher took our class outside, and one of the boys was tormenting the girls with a snake. It made me mad the way they were all screaming, so I reached down {it was early spring} got a bumblebee by the wings like Dad had taught me, and put it down the back of his shirt. Boy he was the only one yelling then, and I didn’t get discipline out of that one, and I earned respect. The teacher thought he got what was due him, and my cousin who was suppose to be protecting me said I needed none., I could take care of myself. Dad taught me that early
*   Story above happened in 1951.

Mom, age 14.

 My grandma Davis was given the same book on Mother’s Day from my Aunts and Uncles in 1999. She was 88 when she wrote in it:
Share a memory of your grandparents or an older person you loved:
I loved my grandpa Morris while he lived with us. Of course, by then I was a young lady about 16. He really was old and helpless by then. I had to stay home from school and take care of him one time, while Aunt Nellie worked in the canning factory. He wanted fried chicken for dinner. I had done everything before except KILL the chicken. I had a terrible time doing that, and I never ate any part of that one. Never killed one since, but I’ve eaten a lot of it since. Grandpa died at our house and I was the one home when he died. He said God forgave his sins and he accepted him as his savior. Never got to know Grandma Morris very well. Never heard much about my mother’s childhood either.
* Story above happened about 1927.
Mildred Day, age 16 or 17.

3 comments:

  1. I gave my mother one of those books too. It's been neat to read what she had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know we could be related , my ancesters too came here on ships, and lived in NC they say we came over on the Mayflower :) could be related :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tink, take a look at my surname list. I'm still working on mine and my husband's but see if anything looks familiar.

    ReplyDelete