Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fearless Females - Day 6

side of Album with clasp

The Album with the tintype pictures
March 6 — Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)
I don’t know if this is considered an heirloom I inherited, but it is something I cherish, and I’m so glad it found it’s way to me. My grandpa Davis had a brother who was killed in W W #1 and I had posted a picture of his cross on my ancestry site that my grandma had let us scan. A lady from my local library e-mailed me, and said that same picture was in an album that was turned in to the library as a donation to Friends of the Library, and if I wanted it she could mail it, but when I said I live in this town, all I had to do was go pick it up. It was an album full of old tintype pictures and other old pictures. Most not marked, but it had one that said Grandma Davis and I knew this had to be my great great grandma Davis. Also had a picture of my grandpa Davis as a young man, a picture of his Uncle William Davis and one of his Aunt Ann Davis Tenor and one of his Aunt Vina Wilcox Bloom. I don’t know how the album made it’s way to my city or who it belonged to, but it found it’s way to me. I am going to post some of the pictures here, some are unknown.
unknown

Uncle John and Vina Bloom

unknown

Aunt Ann Davis Tenor

Mary Crutchfield Davis

Rutherford Davis

Roscoe Davis cross

unknown

unknown

Sylvia Davis {I think}

unknown

William and Lydia Davis and Myrtle


2 comments:

  1. Wow!! I certainly would consider that an heirloom! What a fantastic treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have done a beautiful job Janeen.

    ReplyDelete