Friday, March 4, 2011

Fearless Females- Day 4

March 4 — Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one.


                                                                                         
Photo of my great grandparents, Wilburn and Merttie Lee Powers Long on their wedding day. They were married Dec. 1, 1906, Montgomery Co., Indiana. They both had come with their families from Eastern Kentucky in 1903. Wilburn’s older brother, Sam Long, married Merttie’s sister, Lou Emma Powers, 18 days later. The dress Merttie is wearing she made herself.  I remember how great grandpa always said how beautiful great grandma was with her long auburn hair and brown eyes.
 I don’t know any wedding stories, but I know that 3 months after the Long brothers married, their mother, Lucy Conkright Long, age 
40, died in childbirth.



1 comment:

  1. What a great photo!! I love old wedding photos, unfortunately I only have two.

    ReplyDelete